July 2011
« Jun   Aug »

San Gorgonio Mountain

This weekend Jacob and I went to the top of San Gorgonio Mountain. We started at the Fish Creek trailhead about 6 in the evening. To get to our camping spot for the night, we needed to hike in about 5 miles with an elevation gain of about 1,800 feet. Of course, on our way in, we caught the moonrise.

Moonrise on the Fish Creek Trail

We made it to camp, put up the tent and fixed dinner. The wind was blowing and it was cold so we went to bed right after dinner. The wind gusted all night. It was like sleeping with several flapping flags continuously making noise. We were going to get up and make oatmeal, but who whats to cook in gusty conditions. As it was, we were up at 5:30 AM and caught the sunrise.

Sunrise at Fish Creek Saddle Camp

Soon enough we were making our way towards San Gorgonio. There is one part of the hike that I really did not like. We had to cross some snow. You can see the trail of footprints in the giant snow field. If you cannot see the trail through the snow, click on the picture to make it bigger.

The snow field

Then again, there is a picture that I took when we were on the snow field. You may notice a slight pink tinge to the snow. There is actually an algae that lives in the snow and turns it pink. On our way back down the snow was much pinker. The name of the algae is Chlamydomonas nivalis for those of you that want to know.

Crossing the snow field

Jacob and I arrived at the top and had our picture taken. It was extremely windy on top.

Jacob and myself on San Gorgonio Mountain

Just for perspective, the following photo is taken from on top towards the north. You can see Big Bear Lake in the center area. Left of that is the highway that leads from Running Springs to Big Bear. On the right side in the forest at the bottom is Dry Lake, where we were a couple of weeks ago. You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

Part of the trip was to participate in Operation On Target, a Boy Scout Event, where flashes from mirrors are sent from peak to peak. Jacob is operating a mirror and Ron and Jacob are in the place where we can get out of the wind.

Then came the hike back to Fish Creek Camp where we packed up our backpacks and headed back to the trailhead. It was a lot of walking for one day, somewhere around 17 miles. I am just glad to be home where I do not have to listen to the wind blow all night long.

related post

Comments are closed.